Halloween is just around the corner which means it’s time for trick-or-treating! And while it’s a lot of fun, safety is so important. Here are some of our top tips for having a safe and fun time this Halloween!
For those trick-or-treating:
- Children under 12 should always be accompanied by an adult when trick-or-treating to keep them safe when travelling and also when going up to different homes.
- When crossing the street:
- Always walk, never run.
- Use crosswalks and traffic signals.
- Try to make eye contact with drivers to ensure they see you.
- Watch out for cars that are turning or backing up.
- Keep your head up and put your phone or other devices down.
- To ensure visibility, include reflective tape or materials on your costumes, trick or treat bags and so on.
- If you can, wear lighter colours so drivers can see you.
- If wearing a mask, be extra careful because it can be hard to see. You can opt for face paint instead to be safe.
- Try to get a costume that fits properly so no loose materials are hanging down.
For those on the road:
- Kids get out to trick or treat between 5:30-9:30, so keep note of these hours when hitting the road on Halloween!
- Drive slowly, especially in residential areas.
- Take your time at intersections.
- When exiting driveways and parking lots, be extra alert.
- Turn your phone off or put it away when driving – that said, eliminate any other distractions too.
- Keep headlights on, especially during peak Halloween times.
So grab your costume and your pillowcase – it’s time to accumulate as much candy as you can!
Source: Safe Kids