We’re nearing the end of the second week of self-isolation. This week at ELMNT we’ve been thrilled to get set up at home to continue to keep you in the loop and have some fun too. But when I’m not at work, I’ve been keeping occupied with a variety of entertainment. Welcome to Stay Home Club.
I’ve been leaning into watching silly comedies and entertaining kids movies with positive moral messages to take my mind off things including:
- Toy Story 1-4
- Inside Out
- Wreck It Ralph
- Blades of Glory
- Step Brothers
- Napoleon Dynamite
There’s nothing quite like Jon Heder as Napoleon Dynamite’s delivery when he asks Deb if she is drinking 1% milk because she thinks she’s overweight and then says she could be drinking 2% instead.
Many bands and artists have had to put their music releases on hold because of the pandemic -I’m looking at you Lady Gaga – but some artists had their records ready to go and others even dropped them early!
Here’s what I’ve been spinning:
- Dua Lipa dropped her awaited disco-pop album, Future Nostalgia a week early. This album is the perfect soundtrack to a living room dance party, with hits like “Don’t Start Now” and “Physical” as well as some more bangers like “Levitating” and “Hallucinate.” I’ve already listened to it three times.
- The Weeknd’s “After Hours” recently dropped as well, and it’s been a moody and amazing treat. Like Dua, he brings us that 80s sound on a few of the tracks, like “Blinding Lights” and “In Your Eyes” wrapped up with a modern twist. And he brings the hip hop on “Escape from LA” and “Snowchild.”
- And if you’re looking for an indie-chill folk-y vibe, check out Waxahatchee’s, Saint Cloud. It’s a nice spring soundtrack and a good distraction from everything for 40 minutes.
I’ve kept busy in a couple different ways including:
- The A-Z Concert Listing Challenge
Taking part in the A-Z Concert Listing challenge. Essentially, you have to choose a band you’ve seen for every letter in the alphabet. I was one short – that pesky Q. But it was a nice exercise in reflection and practicing gratefulness towards all the shows I’ve gotten to see over the years. Once this is all over, I’m seeing Questlove, Queens of the Stone Age & Queen if I can!
It can be easy to get addicted to a mobile game, but it’s rare to find one that really challenges your brain. If you like to solve puzzles, Blackbox is just the thing because you can’t use the touch screen to do it! You have to do things like move your phone in various directions, touch buttons off-screen and play around with settings.
Right now it’s available on iOS.
- And of course, my obsession with Animal Crossing continues. You can read about why I love it during a pandemic.
That’s my Stay Home Club for now – I’ll have more updates later. Stay safe, healthy & calm.
And don’t forget to check out Caroline’s weekly roundup!
What makes up your Stay Home Club? Comment below!