to


Ontario’s Financial Accountability Office says over a million workers have been impacted by COVID-19

Ontario’s Financial Accountability Office says the province lost over 400,000 jobs last month while over a million workers were impacted by COVID-19. The provincial office shared the information Thursday morning.  

According to the FAO, these numbers are historic. It attributes nearly all of the job losses last month to a partial nationwide shutdown to flatten the curve of COVID-19. March’s job losses are four times greater than the previous record high, January 2009. The FAO says Ontario’s unemployment rate jumped to 7.6 per cent last month. 

Much like the pandemic itself, the job losses have appeared to hit every single industry in some way. The food and hospitality industries were among the most impacted, says the FAO. 

The office also noted female workers have been most impacted by last month’s job losses, with employment down by almost 100,000 jobs. 

You can read the full report here.  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.