No COVID-19 Report For Ottawa:
We will have to wait until Friday to find out the latest update on COVID-19 cases in Ottawa.
Ottawa Public Health will not be releasing those numbers Thursday, as it is switching over to a new system to manage and report new cases.
Ontario is reporting 86 more deaths from COVID-19 Thursday, the largest daily number so far.
The province also recorded 459 new cases, an increase of 2.9 per cent over Wednesday that brings the provincial total to more than 16,000.
The total includes 1,082 deaths and 10,205 resolved cases.
Meanwhile, the Ontario government is not yet setting dates for restarting the economy, but today the province is providing guidelines to businesses for how to reopen safely, including ground markings for physical distancing and installing plexiglass barriers.
Premier Doug Ford says Ontario has made “tremendous progress” in flattening the curve, and as soon as it is safe to start reopening, he will do so as quickly as possible.
Quebec Premier Defends Opening Schools, Businesses:
Quebec Premier Francois Legault is defending his plan to reopen schools and retail stores ahead of most other provinces, insisting that he is following directions from public health officials.
Legault told reporters today that he understands Quebecers are worried about opening up Montreal in particular, because of an outbreak of COVID-19 cases in the northern part of the city and within at least three hospitals.
The premier says the opening of retail stores in Montreal is still 11 days away, and he is promising that the province will have enough testing capacity and flexibility in hospitals to manage an eventual increase in COVID-19 cases.
Nunavut Records First Case:
Nunavut reported its first case of COVID-19 Thursday. “Now is the time for patience, kindness and staying at home,” Premier Joe Savikataaq said in response.
The resident of Pond Inlet is self-isolating at home and doing well. Word of the first case in the northern territory came as the Canada-wide death toll climbed to 3,180.
Helicopter Crash Update:
The Canadian Armed Forces has identified the five service members missing in a helicopter crash off the coast of Greece.
The government earlier today confirmed that the body of one sailor — Sub-Lieutenant Abbigail Cowbrough (COW’-broh) of Nova Scotia — has been recovered.
The five still missing have been identified as Captain Brenden Ian MacDonald from New Glasgow, Nova Scotia; Capt. Kevin Hagen, from Nanaimo, B-C; Captain Maxime Miron-Morin, from Trois-Rivieres, Quebec; Sub-Lieutenant Matthew Pyke from Truro, Nova Scotia; and Master Corporal Matthew Cousins from Guelph.