to


Afternoon News: Thursday, July 23, 2020

COVID-19 Ottawa:

There are fourteen new, confirmed COVID-19 cases in Ottawa Thursday.

That’s less than half of the amount of new cases reported Wednesday. It sends the city’s total throughout the pandemic to 2,334, with 80 per cent of those cases resolved. No new deaths were reported Thursday, with that total staying at 263 for almost a month now.

COVID-19 Ontario:

Across Ontario there are 103 new cases and no new deaths related to the novel coronavirus Thursday.

The total number of cases now stands at 38,210, which includes 2,755 deaths and 33,963 resolved cases. There were 151 newly resolved cases reported Thursday.

Province To Announce Back to School Plan Next Week:

Ontario’s education minister says he will announce next week the new plan to reopen the province’s schools in September.

Stephen Lecce says he is finalizing plans with provincial health officials including Ontario’s chief medical officer. He says the plan will include additional resources and training for staff, adding there is more the government can do.

Province Announces Funding For New Schools in Ottawa:

While the province prepares for the return to class in the fall, it’s also announcing plans to build new schools across the province, including three in the Ottawa area.

MPP’s have announced that a new elementary school will be built in the Halfmoon Bay area of Barrhaven. MPP Lisa MacLeod tweeted Thursday that this new school will have space for 674 students, in addition to 39 childcare spaces. Provincial funds have also been confirmed for the construction of Fernbank Elementary School, to be built in Kanata.

A French Public school will also be built in Stittsville. No specific timelines were announced for the opening of these new facilities.

NDP Calls on Province to Investigate Indigenous Deaths in Care;

The Ontario NDP is calling on the province to hold emergency investigations into the deaths of eleven Indigenous children connected to child welfare since March.

At the forefront of the calls for action are Monique Taylor, NDP Critic for Children and Youth Services, and Sol Mamakwa, NDP Critic for Indigenous Relations and Reconciliation. The call comes a day after APTN News reported the deaths following months of pushing the Conservative government for the data.

Click here for more on this story from APTN.

Military General Retiring:

General Jonathan Vance is calling it a career.

Canada’s top soldier has announced he will be retiring in the coming months once the government finds his successor. Until then, Vance says he will continue to serve the military and Canadians with the same energy and effort he’s always had.

Online Date Arrested, Police Urge Other Possible Victims to Come Forward:

Gatineau Police have arrested a Brockville man who they accuse of confining and abusing a woman he met through an online dating website, and suggest there might be more victims out there.

Colin David Robinson, 43, who also went by the name David Davidson online, is facing several charges including assault with a weapon, confinement, and uttering threats in connection with alleged incidents early last month. Anyone who may have had a similar encounter with the accused is asked to call Gatineau Police.

First Nations, Inuit Leader Call for Independent Probe Into RCMP:

First Nations and Inuit leaders are urging the federal government to launch an independent, civilian review of RCMP practices to start addressing the number of violent incidents between Mounties and Indigenous People.

First Nations Chiefs, as well as other Indigenous leaders, and other experts are sharing their views Thursday with a Commons committee looking at systemic racism in policing in Canada. They say the Mounties have a shattered relationship with Indigenous Peoples and must re-examine how they treat individuals, especially those who are homeless or dealing with addiction issues.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.