Another person has died from complications related to the Novel Coronavirus in Ottawa; the first death in the city in more than a month.
A man in his 40’s is the 264th person to die from the virus in the Capital since the start of the pandemic. Ottawa Public Health is reporting 25 new confirmed cases Tuesday, more than any other Ontario health unit, sending the total to 2,468, with 269 active cases.
Ontario is reporting 111 new cases and four new deaths related to the novel coronavirus.
The total number of cases now stands at 38,910, which includes 2,768 deaths, and 34,567 resolved cases.
Police Probing Four Shootings in Four Days:
Ottawa Police are hoping to hear from witnesses to several recent shootings in the capital.
A home on Pinecrest Road was shot at around 4:30 this morning, while shots were fired at a home on Woodridge Crescent early yesterday, and bullets struck a home on Summerville Avenue less than an hour later, though fortunately no one was hurt. Another home on Ritchie Street was struck by bullets Saturday night, but again, no one was hurt.
This comes as police investigate the city’s fifth homicide of the year, after a man, 21, was found shot to death behind an east end school Monday night.
Call Police at 613-236-1222, ext.5050 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 if you have more information on any of these incidents.
Hunger Strike Ends at Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre:
Inmates have ended another hunger strike at the Ottawa-Carleton Detention Centre for unspecified health reasons.
Inmates had begun the second hunger strike at the jail in less than two months last Wednesday, but ended it on Sunday. They said officials have failed to deliver on promises that ended a 31-hour strike last month, that included more access to healthier food and hygiene products.
Full Federal Inquiry Into Mass Shooting in Nova Scotia Announced:
The federal government says it will proceed with a full public inquiry into the April’s mass shooting that killed 22 people in Nova Scotia back in April.
The announcement follows mounting public pressure, including from a number of Liberal MPs who challenged their own government’s decision last week to participate in a less rigorous joint review with Nova Scotia.
Federal Public Safety Minister Bill Blair says the government is responding to calls from families, survivors, advocates, and Nova Scotia members of Parliament for more transparency.
Wente Named Canada Council For the Arts Chair:
Anishinaabe writer, broadcaster and speaker Jesse Wente is the new chairman of the Canada Council for the Arts.
Wente has been a prominent advocate for an increased presence of Indigenous voices in the cultural landscape. Director and C-E-O Simon Brault calls Wente’s appointment a bold decision and fantastic news for the council.