to


Afternoon News: Monday, September 21, 2020

COVID-19 Ottawa:

There are 60 new confirmed COVID-19 cases in the Capital Monday, as well as two more deaths related to the virus.

3,679 cases have been confirmed in Ottawa throughout the pandemic, 523 are active, while 78 per cent of patients have recovered. The city has recorded 276 deaths related to the virus.

Meanwhile,

There are at least 24 confirmed cases amongst staff and students at Ottawa Schools, according to the province’s school case tracker.

The schools affected are with the local Catholic, and French Catholic Board. It includes Monsignor Paul Baxter School, which has been shut down after two students and two staff members tested positive last week.

COVID-19 Ontario:

Ontario’s daily COVID-19 cases continue to rise as the province reports 425 new cases Monday.

In total, the province has recorded 47,274 confirmed cases, with 2, 829 deaths, and 41,146 cases marked as resolved.

Ford To Release Second Wave Plan:

Premier Doug Ford says he will release Ontario’s plan to deal with this second wave Tuesday.

Ford has been promising the strategy for several weeks as virus case counts steadily increase. Health Minister Christine Elliott says some elements of the plan are already being implemented, including a ramp-up in testing.

Airbnb Suspends Party Home Listings:

Airbnb says it has suspended more than 40 listings across Ontario, including some here in Ottawa, as part of its effort to crack down on party houses.

The short-term rental website says the suspensions are part of its 2019 policy change to ban parties at properties. Earlier this year the company introduced a pilot project in Canada to restrict users under the age of 25 from booking entire homes.

Nova Scotia Premier Weighs In On Lobster Fishing Attacks:

Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil has issued a statement saying open and respectful dialogue is the best way to resolve issues involving Mi’kmaq fishing rights.

McNeil says the province recognizes and supports the constitutional and treaty rights of First Nations to harvest and sell fish to provide a moderate livelihood. The statement comes after commercial fishermen removed lobster traps placed in St. Marys Bay by Indigenous fisherman, among other attacks.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.