For the first time in over 15 years, Rolling Stone has re-compiled its iconic “500 Greatest Songs of All Time” list. Topping the list is Aretha Franklin with “Respect”, followed by Public Enemy with, “Fight the Power.” The top ten features an eclectic mix of genres and styles and is a good example of what’s to come in the top 500. Lil Nas X, Lizzo, Britney Spears, Kanye West, Backstreet Boys, N.W.A., The Beastie Boys and many more appear on the list.
To make the list, Rolling Stone consulted over 250 experts, asking them to rank their top 50 songs. The results were very different from the 2004 ranking, which included a lot of soul and early rock. Rolling Stone says, today’s list includes “more hip-hop, modern country, indie rock, Latin pop, reggae, and R&B.”
Check out all the results here.
This is the top 10:
- Aretha Franklin, “Respect”
- Public Enemy, “Fight the Power”
- Sam Cooke, “A Change is Gonna Come”
- Bob Dylan, “Like a Rolling Stone”
- Nirvana, “Smells Like Teen Spirit”
- Marvin Gaye, “What’s Going On”
- The Beatles, “Strawberry Fields Forever”
- Missy Elliott, “Get Ur Freak On”
- Fleetwood Mac, “Dreams”
- Outkast, “Hey Ya!”