Journalist, First Peoples Radio – Ottawa (12 Month-Term)
First Peoples Radio, (FPR) is looking for a dynamic personality to join the 95.7 ELMNT-FM Ottawa, ON team. Your role as the Journalist is to create original journalism content for the production and distribution of current events relating to local issues; adhering to the highest journalistic standards, procedures and practices for the News & Current Affairs productions in a manner consistent with FPR culture, ethics and values. If this sounds like you, we want you to apply.
Highlights of your opportunity:
• Monday to Friday (9:00 am to 5:00 pm local time)
• 37.5 hours – 40 hours per week
• Term: May 2023 to May 2024
• Paid benefits after 90 days
• Create original journalistic content relating to current events &/or local issues;
• Responsible for the production and distribution of original journalistic content;
• Meet the diverse needs of the underserviced communities of Ottawa, ON and surrounding areas;
• Produce original news programming for ELMNT-FM and for the National platform, Canada-Info.ca;
• Produce a minimum of 4 journalistic pieces per week that are added to the national platform as part of other requirements with ELMNT-FM +another frequency of production has been agreed upon between ELMNT-FM and the CRFC and/or the National Editors and confirmed in writing;
• Work and communicate in conjunction with the National Editor ensuring all journalistic content created is vetted and published via the national LJI platform, Canada-Info.ca;
• Follow related laws, regulations, conventions, and ethics.
Requirements & Experience:
• A degree /diploma in a relevant discipline and 3 – 5 years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience;
• Experience with an Indigenous organization and culture is an asset;
• Broad knowledge of Production best practices, news ethics and policies;
• Proficiency with Internet, E-mail and other business-related computer software is required;
• Knowledge of English and/or French or at least one Indigenous language would be an asset;
• This position is funded by the Community Radio Fund of Canada and the Government of Canada’s Local Journalism Initiative.
Please email your application by Friday, May 5, 2023 to D’Arcy Magee at (firstname.lastname@example.org) quoting file FPR – 0026.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
As an Indigenous employer we encourage First Nations, Inuit and Metis applicant to apply